No, I have not become Catholic or Lutheran, not that I have anything against the religion at all. I have some awesome friends that are Catholic, and I love them alot and we respect what each of us believe.
Anyway ~ whenever I use to hear the word Lent, I always tho't "that is for Catholics". Well a few years ago, our dear Pastor KD Coles, spoke on Lent and what it means and really encouraged us as families to give something up for Lent. After much talking and and trying to find something that we as a family really didn't need, but depended on. Dennis and I finally decided TV! The kids were not too thrilled about it, but after talking about Lent and then realizing what Christ gave up for US, and in my "mother" thinking What Mary gave up for God, it wasn't that bad. We turned the TV around and unplugged it and actually we had a great 40 days. Sometimes I wonder why we turned it back around. Since then we have used Lent on a more individual level.
I realized the other day that Ash Wednesday was coming up and I prayed a little about participating, not too much, but I did pray. On Wednesday morning, I woke up around 2 a.m. and let the dog out and couldn't go back to sleep. I sat in my chair and was praying and the Lord spoke to me regarding Lent. He showed me in my life a few things I have let get in my way of being a 'better' mom, wife, Christian. I realized what I needed to give up for Lent. I am not going to tell anyone, cause I feel this is between God and I. But I have also decided to give up foofoo coffee and sweets. I struggle with my weight so much anyway and so this is a start. It has been hard because I feel I have become addicted to coffee (again). So as you, my dear friends, are sitting down to your Starbucks, Moxie or even my favorite Dutch Bros, please say a pray of strength for me.
Have a blessed day, and Happy Lent!
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/marchweb-only/34.0.html
Friday, February 8, 2008
Lent
Posted by Lucydolls' ramblings at 8:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We observed Lent for the first time last year. I had always heard that it was for "other" religions too.
It was a very meaningful time for me.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I love you
You should hear the odyssey episode about giving up for lent-Mom&Dad had more trouble without TV than the kids-it was really cute! Your post made me think about it. I'm with you on the coffee thing but I sure don't like green tea! UGH!
Lisa,
Thanks for the wonderful reminder of what Christ did for us and what little things we can do for Him! That is a blessing!
Have a wonderful day!
Kristi
Post a Comment