Okay, so I am a day late, but at least I remembered. I always have great intentions of making a big deal out of things, but then life gets way too busy and it goes by the way side. We have been busy at the shop and so I have been there alot more than I want, A LOT more. Friday night was a bridal shower for my homey Karri's daughter, Jessie, so I went to that, it was fun. it just seems that kids are much younger than they were when I was that age. (does that make sense?) She is marrying Dennis' 2nd or 3rd or 4th cousin, somewhere down that Goff line. Anyway . . . Saturday dawned bright and early with my cup of coffee and a newspaper outside. It was beautiful. We left a little early for Weiser, Kyra had basketball games there. It was a memorial tournament in memory of a young girl that was killed in a car accident. I always get all teary eyed when those things are done, but so happy that people are remembering the ones that are no longer here.
Anyway, back to Fathers day! I have the best dad there ever was. No really I do. The sad thing is he is not here on earth for me to tell him that and I hope I told him enough when he was here, that he knew it. I was the last of 6 children and dad was a very busy man, he worked a full time job and preached to a small group of people. He liked people. Sometimes it seemed he liked other people more than me, but I was just a selfish little girl. Dad retired when I was in high school and I really was dreading it, but looking back, I had so many memories of just him and I! There was this one time we decided to go deer hunting. Actually, looking back it was probably an excuse to go to the Owyhees and visit with old timers. We stopped in Oreana to get something to drink, then at Milt Carothers house to visit, not a short visit, a long visit. Then we hunted on the old Nettleton place for a little bit, then stopped at the farm house to visit with Hugh. That was the first and only time I think I met the man. WOW, what a guy. I fell in love with the house and wanted to stay there forever, I dreamed of living there for years, still do, kinda. He had a huge picture of these 2 stallions fighting on his wall and I remember dad and him talking about the old times. Funny thing was though, all those old timers would say "boy I could tell you some stories about your dad", but they never would. back to the hunting story. we were driving along and saw a herd of deer and dad was driving and so I grab my gun and he keeps saying "wait lisa, wait, hold on . . . . . " until he gets his gun, but then they were gone. I still think I could have shot my own deer that day.
My dad was also a man of God. A man of integrity. A man that loved his family and a man that loved my momma! he was not a man that said it much, but I knew he did and as the years went by he told me alot more and showed it in his actions.
We grew up with TV being awful, we didn't have one, no one should own one, blah blah blah anyway, when I was pregant with Kyra, and sent to bed for weeks, dad stopped by one day to see how I was doing, I asked him if he could please take care of Crystal who was 2 at the time, for a little bit while I showered. When I came out my dad was watching Milo and Otis with Crystal. I saw my dad in a whole new light that day. He loved me and he loved Crystal and she had begged him and begged him to watch it. So he watched it, then when I came out, he said I could go take a nap cause he wanted to finish the movie. I had a whole new respect for my dad, cause a few years earlier, he would have thrown the tv out the window.
I wish he was here to tell him I love him, but then again, you know what??? He is in Heaven visiting with all those old timers and taking care of my son. They are probably having the great time. When Michael was born, my dad was so excited, he even had to come to the doctor when they circumsized Michael. Dad made this big to do about it, it was kinda embarassing, but funny. He would come and visit Michael and I for no real reason, just stop by. One day he was holding him and informed me that Michael was going to be a minister for God. Well little did we know how Michael would minister to people.
Well I could go on and on about my dad, but I need to get busy.
God Bless you!

2 comments:
Boooooo Hooooooo!!!!
Where are those Kleenex when I need 'em?
Lisa, that was lovely. I think Poppy knew how much we all loved him.
He left an amazing legacy. I am proud to be an Aman!
Lisa,
He was my Dad, too. You were lucky because I didn't get to go hunting or roaming around the Owyhees with him. I had to stay home. Not fair!! ha
Thanks for saying all the great things about our Dad.
We will see him someday!!
Sue
Post a Comment