CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 17, 2008

Church

Yesterday was a very interesting church service at our church. I had looked in the bulletin a few weeks ago and was actually kinda dreading this weeks service, well not dreading, but wondering WHY they were doing a "Chosen People" topic for Passover. It was quite interesting.



This man, oh shoot I cannot remember his name, spoke on the Jewish traditions of Passover. I found it very interesting. He took a long time to speak about it and since he was talking about food and it was Sunday, my stomach was really making alot of noise by the time we finally got to go home. But it was very interesting.

I had never really tho't about the Jewish customs for Passover and Easter until we were in Seattle at Swedish Medical Center during Passover in 1999. We had a family in there from Isreal seeking treatment for their 7 year old daughter fighting cancer. They were Orthodox Jewish and could not speak any English. The woman had her head covered at all times, the man, well he was interesting. He wore alot of different things each day. It was spring and warm and he would show up at the hospital in a large top hat, covered with wool of some kind and a big heavy wool coat. He would check on his daughter and go to the family room to pray ALL day. Literally ALL DAY! He had a Prayer book and he would chant all day long. The man yesterday talked about cleaning the house from all leaven things with a feather, this man had a feather and he would clean the family room everday with his feather. I found it scarey mostly because I had no clue what they were doing.
When he would leave the hospital in the evening to walk to his apartment, he was usually quite, what do I call it, in America, quite wasted, because he would be praying, chanting and drinking wine all day long. It was very interesting to say the least.
After hearing the sermon yesterday, some of those little things we encountered there in Swedish Medical Center with our Orthodox Jewish family, made some sense. They are looking for the Messiah.
I am so thankful for a Messiah who is risen and saved me from all my sins. And continues to forgive me daily!
Happy Easter season

3 comments:

SheilaDy said...

I remember that man! He had REALLY long ringlets hanging down the sides of his head, and he always stood up against the east wall and prayed.

I too am so thankful that we know that the Messiah has come and He is Risen!

Happy Easter!
Sheila

Lucydolls' ramblings said...

Yep, that was the man. I have always wondered what happened to the girl, but we never could pronouce her name.

Robin said...

I love the meaning of the Passover service. I've seen is several times - but I always seem to learn something new. And I am always in tears by the end. Only God could put so much meaning into things. How I wish His people would just open their eyes and see. It just boggles my brain!
It was long though - I was hungry too!